The Manic Street Preachers – If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
- Manic Street Preachers are a Welsh rockband formed in Blackwood in 1986. The band’s early albums were in a punk vein, eventually broadening to a greater alternative rock sound, whilst retaining a leftist political outlook. Their early combination of androgynous glamimagery and lyrics about “culture, alienation, boredom and despair” has gained them a loyal following and cultstatus.
- Here is a video of the band playing the song.
- Literary devices: “The future teaches you to be alone/The present to be afraid and cold” personification of the present and the future. “And if you tolerate this then your children will be next/And if you tolerate this then your children will be next” anaphora, in the chorus that sentence is repeated twice to emphasize.
- Theme and tone: Death “Bullets for your brain today”, pacifist tone “But I’m a pacifist”, it complains about war; warning “And if you tolerate this then your children will be next”; pesimistic “The future teaches you to be alone The present to be afraid and cold
- The song is about the Spanish Civil War and the soldiers that were sent to fought in there. It is about the violence practized in that time. I believe is well expressed and it really makes and impact on the person that listen to it, since it makes people aware of the situation and it helps them to think about the future, in this case it express the future as the children. British young men went to fought against the fascists, and the propaganda that led to so many recluctants for the military force was a picture of a dead child with an airforce flying above her.